The piano for the series is on permanent loan from Mr. Peter Helm. Originally a gift to Peter's
great aunt's mother-in law, Sadie Hawley, in 1888 for her 16th birthday while the family lived in what became the Salmagundi Art Club at 47 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. The Steinway is an 1888 Model C at 7.5 feet long.
While Mr. Helm worked closely with the late
professor and early music impresario, Albert Fuller, the piano became a favorite for Albert and he had it in his home for many years. Albert and other musicians performed in his private salons and even moved the piano to
Carnegie Hall for certain performances.
The piano was refurbished in the 1990s and it continues to produce an exceptional sound rarely heard today.
It is an honor to have this instrument and we are proud to share it with the public.